Sunday, April 4, 2010

Turkey hunt

Remember those two plump wild turkeys that flew by my office window? Well, they are clearly not everyone's friend.

I've been enjoying a long week end of beautiful weather by running the fire roads. Though, there's been a glitch. I have to wait till noon to run the trails, because the roads are closed to turkey hunting. Yep, they are hunting my friends. And yes, I checked all three entry ways to the various trails, all of them closed. I've never seen a turkey on my runs, deer yes, but no turkey. I guess they knew...

I was tempted, the first morning I saw the closed signs at the fire road entry, to disregard the ranger's signs and run and actually started up the trail. Then after a couple of minutes of thinking, realizing that you would hunt a wild turkey with guns.... And that I am a visitor to these trails and East Tn. and that I should follow the rules, because that's what responsible people do (did I mention that I am also in the process of being screened for a security clearance) I turned back and ran the neighborhood streets.

Running the streets I noticed the homes on top of the hills were beautiful, big brick homes with a wonderful view of the Smokie mountains. Their manicured lawns were nice, but the view took top seed. You could mountains forever to the east, not quite like Utah or Banff, yet very impressive.

One question though, does it even out, exercise-wise, if you run steady up a hill, a 10 min climb, only to run back down it? Would you burn the same calories as if it was a flat road? You know, it is harder on your body to run down a hill.

Anyway, so here I am, waiting till noon so I can go run the fire roads while keeping my fingers crossed for my little turkey friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment