Saturday, April 24, 2010

Relay anyone?

One of my co-workers, Jeff, who's a really nice guy, intelligent, easy going and a super fast runner asked me to be part of the women's relay team in the Key West 100 mile relay in mid-May.

When he asked me to be one of six women on the relay team, I went back in forth in my head, thinking "wow so cool, what a great way to meet others and vacation in Key West at the same time"... Though also thinking "what if the other runners aren't as friendly as Jeff and what if I'm SO much slower and let them down". Well, after a mini debate I said YES and met the other team mates this morning at a 5K in Knoxville. (drum roll please) And they were all really nice and genuine, a real pleasure to meet. I feel much more at ease now and eager to train; yes I need to get my act in gear with less than a month till the race.

Ok the relay race, there's six runners on a team, I'm traveling with one men's team and one women's team. The race is 100 miles, therefore each runner does 6 x 5K (approx.) with 2 hours of rest time in between each run. The race should be pretty flat with a big a$$ bridge every once in a while. No doubt it will be hot and sunny, but there should also be a sweet ocean wind.

So, if the weather would cooperate I could get back out there to run, again....

3 comments:

  1. nance
    that sounds like so much fun- and nice to do something out of the ordinary. drink a margarita in key west for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, so did you do a 5K? Under your own name? ;)

    That does sound like fun!! Maybe we should think about planning some destination races so we Memphis gals can all meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like this one, we need to do the Hood to Coast out in Oregon. Or I'd def be up for Key West too... :)

    ReplyDelete